Ambrose Bierce was born on June 24, 1842, in Ohio, United States. He was an American short story writer, poet, journalist and civil war veteran. He was entirely from English ancestry, whose four bears moved to North America. Listed in the 9th Indiana Infantry of the Union Army at the outset of the American Civil War, he is also one of the participants in the operations of Western Virginia which was held in the year 1861. After the ‘Battle of Phillipi’ Bierce received a lot of print media attention for his brave actions throughout the war. Ambrose Bierce quotes and words inspired patriotism in the nation.
Ambrose Bierce wrote a short story called ‘What I saw of Shiloh’ after fighting in the Battle of Shiloh which was highly acclaimed in his period. His famous works include ‘A Horseman in the Sky’, ‘Ten Tales’ and many more. Here are the best Ambrose Bierce quotes to empower your life.
1. Optimism is the doctrine or belief that everything is beautiful, including what is ugly. – Ambrose Bierce
2. Cultivate a taste for distasteful truths. And, finally, most important of all, endeavor to see things as they are, not as they ought to be. – Ambrose Bierce
3. A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. – Ambrose Bierce
4. Be as decent as you can. Don’t believe without evidence. Treat things divine with marked respect — don’t have anything to do with them. – Ambrose Bierce
5. In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office. – Ambrose Bierce
6. Electricity is the power that causes all natural phenomena not known to be caused by something else. – Ambrose Bierce
7. Politics is a strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage. – Ambrose Bierce
8. Religion is a daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. – Ambrose Bierce
9. Labor is one of the processes by which A acquires property for B. – Ambrose Bierce
10. Patience is a minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue. – Ambrose Bierce
11. The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. – Ambrose Bierce
12. You don’t have to be stupid to be a Christian… but it probably helps. – Ambrose Bierce
13. A person who doubts himself is like a man who would enlist in the ranks of his enemies and bear arms against himself. He makes his failure certain by himself being the first person to be convinced of it. – Ambrose Bierce
14. Future -That period of time in which our affairs prosper, our friends are true and our happiness is assured. – Ambrose Bierce
15. I think that I think, therefore I think that I am. – Ambrose Bierce
16. He who thinks with difficulty believes with alacrity. A fool is a natural proselyte, but he must be caught young, for his convictions, unlike those of the wise, harden with age. – Ambrose Bierce
17. Liberty is one of Imagination’s most precious possessions. – Ambrose Bierce quotes
18. All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher. – Ambrose Bierce
19. The only distinction that democracies reward is a high degree of conformity. – Ambrose Bierce
20. Do not trust humanity without collateral security; it will play you some scurvy trick. Remember that it hurts no one to be treated as an enemy entitled to respect until he shall prove himself a friend worthy of affection. – Ambrose Bierce
21. Education is that which discloses to the wise and disguises from the foolish their lack of understanding. – Ambrose Bierce
22. War is God’s way of teaching Americans geography. – Ambrose Bierce
23. The circus a place where horses, ponies and elephants are permitted to see men, women and children acting the fool. – Ambrose Bierce
24. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others. – Ambrose Bierce
25. Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret. – Ambrose Bierce
26. Democracy is four wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. – Ambrose Bierce
27. Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding. – Ambrose Bierce
28. Philosophy: A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing. – Ambrose Bierce
Which one of the Ambrose Bierce Quotes do you like reading the most? Let me know in the comments below.
Nakul Grover, author of Superhuman In You and the one who runs this blog. He has been writing on self-improvement since 2014. Featured on various websites, his works have helped thousands of people to live an extraordinary life. He loves spending his leisure hours in reading books and learning new skills.