Benjamin Graham was a renowned American investor and professor. He was born May 9, 1894, in London. He did his graduation from Columbia University at the age of 20. After that, he became a teacher of his school and Anderson School of Management at the University of California at the age of 34. During this period of life, he was earning about $50,000 annually. Suddenly, after losing a huge margin of his asset, he wrote two books of investment. These led to the development of value investing within mutual funds, hedge funds etc. In 1956, he broke his partnership with Newman and took his retirement from the stock market. Benjamin was called ‘the father of value investing’. His most famous books are ‘Security Analysis’ and ‘The Intelligent Investor’. At the age of 82, Graham died in Aix-en-Provence on September 21, 1976. Here are the best Benjamin Graham quotes to empower your business success.
1. Obvious prospects for physical growth in a business do not translate into obvious profits for investors. – Benjamin Graham
2. The investment world nevertheless has enough liars, cheaters, and thieves to keep Satan’s check-in clerks frantically busy for decades to come. – Benjamin Graham
3. Invest only if you would be comfortable owning a stock even if you had no way of knowing its daily share price. – Benjamin Graham
4. With every new wave of optimism or pessimism, we are ready to abandon history and time-tested principles, but we cling tenaciously and unquestioningly to our prejudices. – Benjamin Graham
5. An investment operation is one which, upon thorough analysis, promises safety of principal and an adequate return. Operations not meeting these requirements are speculative. – Benjamin Graham
6. People who invest make money for themselves; people who speculate make money for their brokers. – Benjamin Graham
7. While enthusiasm may be necessary for great accomplishments elsewhere, on Wall Street it almost invariably leads to disaster. – Benjamin Graham
8. The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists. – Benjamin Graham
9. Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it. – Benjamin Graham
10. On the other hand, investing is a unique kind of casino—one where you cannot lose in the end, so long as you play only by the rules that put the odds squarely in your favor. – Benjamin Graham
11. Buy cheap and sell dear. – Benjamin Graham
12. In the short run, the market is a voting machine but in the long run, it is a weighing machine. – Benjamin Graham
13. The stock investor is neither right or wrong because others agreed or disagreed with him; he is right because his facts and analysis are right. – Benjamin Graham
14. But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game. – Benjamin Graham
I hope you enjoyed reading Benjamin Graham quotes. Let me know your favorite one in the comments below.
Nakul Grover, author of Superhuman In You and the one who runs this blog. He has been writing on self-improvement since 2014. Featured on various websites, his works have helped thousands of people to live an extraordinary life. He loves spending his leisure hours in reading books and learning new skills.