Bette Davis was an American actress who worked in television, theater, and film as well. He was born in Lowell, Massachusetts on April 5, 1908. In 1915, her parents separated and she was admitted to a Crestalban Boarding School in Lanesborough. In 1921, she moved to New York and there she became successful as a patrol leader. Bette Davis quotes and ideas get the popularity they deserved.
When she was of 18, she saw Henrik Johan Ibsen’s production and became interested in theater. In 1929, she played the first role in her life. In 1930, she moved to Hollywood. She acted in two films named ‘Bad Sister’ and ‘Seed’ in 1931. She tasted the success by winning the best actress academic award in 1935. She won the second time for ‘Jezebel’. Later the talent of her shined in television also. She wrote two books named ‘The Lonely Life’ and ‘This ‘N That’. On October 6, 1989, she took her last breath. Here are the best Bette Davis quotes to inspire your life.
1. I’d love to kiss you but I just washed my hair. – Bette Davis
2. I was thought to be ‘stuck up.’ I wasn’t. I was just sure of myself. This is and always has been an unforgivable quality to the unsure. – Bette Davis
3. Everybody has a heart. Except for some people. – Bette Davis
4. To fulfill a dream, to be allowed to sweat over lovely labor, to be given the chance to create, is the meat and potatoes of life. The money is the gravy. – Bette Davis
5. I’m the nicest goddamn dame that ever lived. – Bette Davis
6. I have been uncompromising, peppery, intractable, monomaniacal, tactless, volatile, and oftentimes disagreeable… I suppose I’m larger than life. – Bette Davis
7. I am doomed to an eternity of compulsive work. No set goal achieved satisfies. The golden apple devoured has seeds. It is endless. – Bette Davis
8. Success only breeds a new goal. – Bette Davis
9. Men become much more attractive when they start looking older. But it doesn’t do much for women, though we do have an advantage: make-up. – Bette Davis
10. The key to life is accepting challenges. Once someone stops doing this, he’s dead. – Bette Davis
11. Love is not enough. It must be the foundation, the cornerstone- but not the complete structure. It is much too pliable, to yield. – Bette Davis
12. When a man gives his opinion, he’s a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she’s a bitch. – Bette Davis
13. This became a credo of mine…attempt the impossible in order to improve your work. – Bette Davis
14. You will never be happier than you expect. To change your happiness, change your expectation. – Bette Davis
15. You should know me well enough by now to know I don’t ask for things I don’t think I can get. – Bette Davis
16. My passions were all gathered together like fingers that made a fist. Drive is considered aggression today; I knew it then as purpose. – Bette Davis
17. If everybody likes you, you’re pretty dull. – Bette Davis quotes
18. If you have never been hated by your child, you have never been a parent. – Bette Davis
19. Pleasure of love lasts but a moment, Pain of love lasts a lifetime. – Bette Davis
20. Life is the past, the present and the perhaps. – Bette Davis
21. A sure way to lose happiness, I found, is to want it at the expense of everything else. – Bette Davis
22. Brought up to respect the conventions, love had to end in marriage. I’m afraid it did. – Bette Davis
23. I survived because I was tougher than anybody else. – Bette Davis
24. In this business, until you’re known as a monster, you’re not a star. – Bette Davis
25. Old age ain’t no place for sissies. – Bette Davis
26. There comes a time in every woman’s life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne. – Bette Davis
27. It’s better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for someone you’re not. It’s a sign of your worth sometimes, if you’re hated by the right people. – Bette Davis
28. I will not retire while I’ve still got my legs and my makeup box. – Bette Davis
29. Basically, I believe the world is a jungle, and if it’s not a bit of a jungle in the home, a child cannot possibly be fit to enter the outside world. – Bette Davis
Which one of the Bette Davis quotes do you enjoy reading the most? Share with me in the comments below.
Nakul Grover, author of Superhuman In You and the one who runs this blog. He has been writing on self-improvement since 2014. Featured on various websites, his works have helped thousands of people to live an extraordinary life. He loves spending his leisure hours in reading books and learning new skills.