David Bowie was an English singer, songwriter and actor was a leading figure in the music industry and is considered one of the most influential musicians of the 20th century. Bowie developed an interest in music as a child, eventually studying art, music, and design before becoming a successful musician in 1963. His Album Space Oddity became an immediate hit on the UK Singles in 1969 and since then David Bowie quotes and ideas have become popular on the web.
He stimulated the innovators of the punk rock music movement in 1976. Bowie also starred in the famous film The Man Who Fell to Earth, directed by Nicolas Roeg. On 7 January 2017 the BBC broadcast the 90-minute documentary David Bowie: The Last Five Years, taking about Bowie’s last albums, and his play Lazarus. He was honored with numerous awards in addition to six Grammy Awards, four Brit Awards and the Brits Icon award for his “lasting impact on British culture”, given posthumously in 2016. Here are the best David Bowie quotes for every music lover.
1. Nobody reads anymore, nobody goes out and looks and explores the society and culture they were brought up in. David Bowie
2. Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming. – David Bowie
3. I suppose for me as an artist it wasn’t always just about expressing my work; I really wanted, more than anything else, to contribute in some way to the culture I was living in. – David Bowie
4. As you get older, the questions come down to about two or three. How long? And what do I do with the time I’ve got left? – David Bowie
5. We can be heroes just for one day. – David Bowie
6. There’s a terror in knowing what the world is about – David Bowie
7. People have attention spans of five seconds and as much depth as a glass of water. – David Bowie
8. Turn and face the strange. – David Bowie quotes
9. I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human. – David Bowie
10. All my big mistakes are when I try to second-guess or please an audience. My work is always stronger when I get very selfish about it. – David Bowie
11. The only art I’ll ever study is stuff that I can steal from. – David Bowie
12. I’ve never responded well to entrenched negative thinking. – David Bowie
13. Talking about art is like dancing about architecture. – David Bowie
14. It’s always time to question what has become standard and established. – David Bowie
15. I don’t care what anybody says; I like doing it, and it’s what I shall continue to do. – David Bowie
16. Fame itself… doesn’t really afford you anything more than a good seat in a restaurant. – David Bowie
17. I’m not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with potential of a superman. I’m living on. – David Bowie
18. Speak in extremes, it’ll save you time. – David Bowie
19. Once you lose that sense of wonder at being alive, you’re pretty much on the way out… – David Bowie
20. I’m a born librarian with a sex drive – David Bowie
21. I’ll paint you moments of gold, I’ll spin you Valentine evenings… – David Bowie
22. If it works, it’s out of date. – David Bowie
23. I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human. I felt very puny as a human. I thought, ‘Fuck that. I want to be a superhuman. – David Bowie
24. I wanted to prove the sustaining power of music. – David Bowie
25. You can neither win nor lose if you don’t run the race. – David Bowie
26. I’m an instant star. Just add water and stir. – David Bowie
27. I’m just an individual who doesn’t feel that I need to have somebody qualify my work in any particular way. I’m working for me. – David Bowie
28. The moment you know you know you know. – David Bowie
29. No more free steps to heaven. – David Bowie
Which one of David Bowie Quotes has inspired you the most? Comment below.
Nakul Grover, author of Superhuman In You and the one who runs this blog. He has been writing on self-improvement since 2014. Featured on various websites, his works have helped thousands of people to live an extraordinary life. He loves spending his leisure hours in reading books and learning new skills.