Ferdinand Jean Marie Foch was born on October 2, 1851, in Tarbes, France. He was a French General and Military theorist who is known to have served in the First World War as the Supreme Allied Commander. In 1873, Foch entered the Artillery Training School and was appointed in the Artillery Committee in Paris. In late 1918, Foch became the Allied Commander in Chief and successfully coordinated the French, British and American efforts during the world war. He played a crucial role in halting the renewed German advance, after which he was promoted to Marshal of France and on November 11, 1918, he accepted the German request for an armistice and declared it for twenty years. His life itself was an inspiration for millions of people during the First World War. Here are the best Ferdinand Foch quotes that reflect his perspective on war, politics and life.
1. In tactics, action is the governing rule of war. – Ferdinand Foch
2. An army is to a chief what a sword is to a soldier. It is only worth anything in so far as it receives from him a certain impulsion. – Ferdinand Foch
3. The unknown is the governing condition of war. – Ferdinand Foch
4. The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire. – Ferdinand Foch
5. Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value. – Ferdinand Foch
6. In war there are none but particular cases; everything has there an individual nature; nothing ever repeats itself. In the first place, the data of a military problem are but seldom certain; they are never final. Everything is in a constant state of change and reshaping. – Ferdinand Foch
7. None but a coward dares to boast that he has never known fear. – Ferdinand Foch
8. The power to command has never meant the power to remain mysterious. – Ferdinand Foch quotes
9. One does simply what one can in order to apply what one knows. – Ferdinand Foch
10. Victory is a thing of the will. – Ferdinand Foch
11. The laurels of victory are at the point of the enemy bayonets. They must be plucked there; they must be carried by a hand-to-hand fight if one really means to conquer. – Ferdinand Foch
12. My center is giving way, my right is in retreat, situation excellent. I attack. – Ferdinand Foch
13. Against what should fire be opened? Against the obstacles which may delay the march of infantry. The first obstacle is the enemy gun. It will be the first objective assigned to artillery masses. – Ferdinand Foch
14. The will to conquer is the first condition of victory. – Ferdinand Foch
15. There is but one means to extenuate the effects of enemy fire: it is to develop a more violent fire oneself. – Ferdinand Foch
16. In whatever position you find yourself, determine first your objective. – Ferdinand Foch
17. Every manoeuvre must be the development of a scheme; it must aim at a goal. – Ferdinand Foch
I hope you enjoy reading Ferdinand Foch quotes. Let me know your favorite one in the comments below.
Nakul Grover, author of Superhuman In You and the one who runs this blog. He has been writing on self-improvement since 2014. Featured on various websites, his works have helped thousands of people to live an extraordinary life. He loves spending his leisure hours in reading books and learning new skills.