Genghis Khan was one of the most famous conquerors of history, recognized for the brutality of his campaigns, and is considered by many to have been a genocidal ruler. Genghis Khan quotes and ideas reflect the same brutality. He merged various nomadic tribes into a unified Mongolia and later prolonged his empire across Asia to the Adriatic Sea. These Nomadic tribes of herders were actually, excellent Horsemen’s and Archers, capable of shooting in any direction while riding a horse. So, as a Military, they were fast, they were agile, and so, became, the most powerful and widespread rulers, the history will always acknowledge.
Genghis Khan practiced meritocracy and also encouraged religious tolerance in the Mongol Empire which eventually made his powerful governance, continue to rule, even after his demise in 1227. Later when Mongolians captured Baghdad, many considered this the end of Islamic Golden Age, as they began to fragment, but even today they continue to exist as significant empires. Here are the best Genghis Khan quotes that you cannot miss reading.
1. There is no good in anything until it is finished. –Genghis Khan
2. Oh people, know that you have committed great sins. If you ask me what proof I have for these words, I say it is because I am the punishment of God. If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you! –Genghis Khan
3. The Greatest Happiness is to scatter your enemy and drive him before you. To see his cities reduced to ashes. To see those who love him shrouded and in tears. And to gather to your bosom his wives and daughters. –Genghis Khan
4. Come and sip from the cup of destruction. –Genghis Khan
5. Man’s greatest joy is to slay his enemy, plunder his riches, ride his steeds, see the tears of his loved ones and embrace his women. –Genghis Khan
6. I will rule them by fixed laws so that rest and happiness shall prevail in the world. –Genghis Khan
7. If unable to abstain from drinking, a man may get drunk three times a month; if he does it more than three times he is culpable; if he gets drunk twice a month it is better; if once a month, this is still more laudable; and if one does not drink at all what can be better? But where can I find such a man? If such a man were found he would be worthy of the highest esteem. –Genghis Khan
8. Despite all expectations, the time of my last campaign and of my passing is near. I wish to die at home. Let not my end disarm you, and on no account weep for me, lest the enemy be warned of my death. –Genghis Khan
9. A leader can never be happy until his people are happy. –Genghis Khan
10. If you’re afraid – don’t do it, – if you’re doing it – don’t be afraid! –Genghis Khan
11. Find your chill. –Genghis Khan
12. People conquered on different sides of the lake should be ruled on different sides of the lake. –Genghis Khan
13. One arrow alone can be easily broken but many arrows are indestructible. –Genghis Khan
14. A man’s greatest work is to break his enemies, to drive them before him, to take from them all the things that have been theirs, to hear the weeping of those who cherished them. –Genghis Khan
15. Remember, you have no companions but your shadow. –Genghis Khan
16. If lies can show the truth, they can be the truth, they can cause the truth, so I may build an empire on lies, but they are the truth. –Genghis Khan
17. Happiness lies in conquering one’s enemies, in driving them in front of oneself, in taking their property, in savoring their despair, in outraging their wives and daughters. –Genghis Khan
18. The merit in action lies in finishing it to the end. –Genghis Khan
19. I am the punishment of God…If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you. –Genghis Khan
20. I am the flail of god. Had you not created great sins, god would not have sent a punishment like me upon you. –Genghis Khan quotes
21. The strength of a wall is neither greater nor less than the courage of the men who defend it. –Genghis Khan
22. With Heaven’s aid I have conquered for you a huge empire. But my life was too short to achieve the conquest of the world. That task is left for you. –Genghis Khan
23. One of the joys of travel is visiting new towns and meeting new people. –Genghis Khan
24. A person is more work to break his enemies, drive them before him, and of them all is to hear the screams of those they loved. –Genghis Khan
25. Man’s highest joy is in victory: to conquer one’s enemies; to pursue them; to deprive them of their possessions; to make their beloved weep; to ride on their horses; and to embrace their wives and daughters. –Genghis Khan
26. Perhaps my children will live in stone houses and walled towns – Not I. –Genghis Khan
27. It is not sufficient that I succeed – all others must fail. –Genghis Khan
28. Even when a friend does something you do not like, he continues to be your friend. –Genghis Khan
29. Heaven has appointed me to rule all the nations, for hitherto there has been no order upon the steppes. –Genghis Khan
30. In the space of seven years I have succeeded in accomplishing a great work and uniting the whole world in one Empire. –Genghis Khan quotes
31. I’m going by the law, so that peace and happiness in the world there are hard and fast rule. –Genghis Khan
32. Those who were adept and brave fellows I have made military commanders. Those who were quick and nimble I have made herders of horses. Those who were not adept I have given a small whip and sent to be shepherds. –Genghis Khan
33. A man’s greatest moment in life is when his enemy lays vanquished, his village aflame, his herds driven before you and his weeping wives and daughters are clasped to your breast. –Genghis Khan
34. An action comitted in anger is an action doomed to failure –Genghis Khan.
35 .I am from the Barbaric North. I wear the same clothing and eat the same food as the cowherds and horse-herders. We make the same sacrifices and we share our riches. –Genghis Khan
36. If my body dies, let my body die, but do not let my country die. –Genghis Khan
37. Violence never settles anything. –Genghis Khan
Which one of the Genghis Khan quotes do you love reading the most? Share with me in the comments below.
Nakul Grover, author of Superhuman In You and the one who runs this blog. He has been writing on self-improvement since 2014. Featured on various websites, his works have helped thousands of people to live an extraordinary life. He loves spending his leisure hours in reading books and learning new skills.