Born in the year 1817 in Massachusetts USA, Henry David Thoreau Quotes and his personality was seen as a complex man whose works still have a significant impact on people’s lives. He worked hard for shaping his life the way he wanted to and improved his craft along the way. He is remembered for his contributions to American literature and the philosophical movement that was named as New England Transcendentalism.
The books and poems he wrote revolved around life conduct and nature. His writing style included thoughts and observations that were straightforward and addressed simple human experiences. The Last Days of John Brown and Walden are amongst his best works. His writing always questioned on the economy of life. In early 1862, Henry David Thoreau seemed to know his end time was coming, but he continued with his scientific studies and died on 6 May 1862. His position in American philosophy was given consideration years after his death. Here are the best Henry David Thoreau Quotes to inspire your life.
1. Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new. – Henry David Thoreau
2. Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life so. Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something. – Henry David Thoreau
3. Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes. – Henry David Thoreau
4. As if you could kill time without injuring eternity – Henry David Thoreau
5. Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify. – Henry David Thoreau
6. If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away. – Henry David Thoreau
7. Not till we are completely lost or turned around… do we begin to find ourselves. – Henry David Thoreau
8. Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads. – Henry David Thoreau
9. Dreams are the touchstones of our characters. – Henry David Thoreau
10. Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves. – Henry David Thoreau
11. The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when one asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer. – Henry David Thoreau
12. A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone – Henry David Thoreau
13. How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live. – Henry David Thoreau
14. Books are the treasured wealth of the world and the fit inheritance of generations and nations. – Henry David Thoreau
15. Read the best books first, or you may not have a chance to read them at all. – Henry David Thoreau
16. If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them. – Henry David Thoreau
17. I was not designed to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest. – Henry David Thoreau
18. Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you’ve imagined. – Henry David Thoreau
19. Any fool can make a rule and any fool will mind it. – Henry David Thoreau
20. There is no remedy for love, but to love more. – Henry David Thoreau
21. Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.
22. I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately… – Henry David Thoreau
23. The cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. – Henry David Thoreau
24. If we will be quiet and ready enough, we shall find compensation in every disappointment. – Henry David Thoreau
25. All good things are wild and free. – Henry David Thoreau
26. The language of friendship is not words, but meanings. – Henry David Thoreau
27. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness. – Henry David Thoreau
28. It’s not what you look at that matters, it’s what you see. – Henry David Thoreau Quotes
29. Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influence of the earth. – Henry David Thoreau
30. Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me the truth. – Henry David Thoreau
31. I would rather sit on a pumpkin, and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion. – Henry David Thoreau
32. What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. – Henry David Thoreau
33. Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake. – Henry David Thoreau
34. Be yourself- not your idea of what you think somebody else’s idea of yourself should be – Henry David Thoreau
35. Things do not change; we change. – Henry David Thoreau
36. All men want, not something to do with, but something to do, or rather something to be. – Henry David Thoreau
37. Never look back unless you are planning to go that way. – Henry David Thoreau
Which one of the Henry David Thoreau Quotes do you love the most? Let me know in the comments below.
Nakul Grover, author of Superhuman In You and the one who runs this blog. He has been writing on self-improvement since 2014. Featured on various websites, his works have helped thousands of people to live an extraordinary life. He loves spending his leisure hours in reading books and learning new skills.